Discovering Your Purpose
Can you fill in the blank? “I was placed on this earth to ______________________________________________________.”
Congratulations if you were able to list your God-given purpose, and even bigger congratulations if you are actively doing what you listed!
Perhaps you were unable to list anything above. If this is true, don’t worry! As long as there is breath in your body you still have the opportunity to seek and understand the unique purpose God attached to you when He formed you!
Purpose is revealed in many different ways and in different timing. Some people receive an answer the moment they ask the question, and others come to know and understand their purpose over time. Though it would be nice, there is no cookie cutter method to follow; however, below are several steps that might prove helpful in assisting you or those you love as you embark on this wonderful journey.
Before You Begin:
Make sure you are free from the following three things:
- Anxiety/Stress: These sabotage your ability to hear clearly.
- Concern for Money: This will certainly act as a roadblock or will thwart your ability to clearly receive an answer if this is your focus.
- Concern About the Opinion of Others: This has the power to influence what you will or will not do. You will find yourself aiming to please others and not remaining true to yourself and God.
Ready to Receive:
Set some time aside and do the following:
- Ask God: Check out Jeremiah 33:3
- Think about what you get pleasure in doing, naturally. Does it serve others?
- Think about what draws you from within. Are your God-given gifts/talents being utilized?
- Repeat these steps as often as needed
During this time keep your eyes, ears, and heart open as you wait for clarity. Realize you are probably closer to it than you might think.
Lastly, remember while your purpose will remain the same, the way in which you go about fulfilling it may evolve. If you are just starting out, take it one small step at a time—just remain faithful!